Friday 15 May 2009

12 inches of cold hard steel


As you know I love tools. (I've been ogling Emma's tools and techniques.)
I love scissors.
Big scissors, minimum 12" for cutting out fabric. 
Once you've gone big you can't go back!
These are new. 
I haven't bought a big pair of shears for years (poetry!). 
When you invest in a really good pair- steel, German, big- they will last for (almost) ever. You need to invest in a good, reliable, 'come-to-you' scissor sharpener as well. Steve comes to my studio and sharpens all my scissors and knives. Sharp scissors are heaven. My old Big Shears have been sharpened so many times that the knuckle that sticks out in between the handles has had to be ground-down so the tips close properly. My new scissors need to be fine tuned, they need to be loosened and adjusted so that I can use them to cut from hinge to tip, through piles of fabric, thick and thin. 
12" of cold, hard, heavy duty steel.
Lovely.



3 comments:

  1. I am drooling, I can smell them now, not in a creepy way, just in that cold hard steel way. Where from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I don't recommend running with them though.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me.
I like getting mail!