Tuesday 11 November 2008

the school of life

I am in lurve with this place. I was very annoyed when it got into the travel pages of The Age on the weekend. 
What is it?
Well it's kind of a philosophy shop. It's in London (bugger) and it makes me laugh and smile.
They have sermons by guest lecturers on topic such as punctuality ('latecomers will be admonished'), seduction, pessimism, curiosity and even 'loving your neighbour' and they serve tea and sticky buns after.
They do holidays with such titles as 'Around the World inside the M25', 'Philosophy on a Bicycle' and (my favourite) a weekend at Heathrow Airport, which includes dinner at the Sikh baggage handlers favourite Indian restaurant!
They also have services like 'Experts' (you can hire an expert to run ideas pass) and 'Bibliotherapy' (book prescriptions, a made to order reading list).
You can sign up for a 'Daily Aphorism' and check out the blog.
I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

What is an aphorism?

I like work: it fascinates me.I can sit and look at it for hours. (Jerome K Jerome)
or
I believe the glass is half full, of poison. (Tim Collins)
or
A pessimist is an optimist with experience. (P Clements)
or
Imagination. You can't imagine life without it. (Jacqueline Oliver)




2 comments:

  1. Yay! You really will have to come and visit London (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.

    Does that fit?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me.
I like getting mail!