Saturday 22 November 2008

quirky schmirky


I worked in the shop yesterday, Friday. I've only been doing Saturdays for the last few months and now have to work again today. Which means today feels like Sunday and with the rain and grey skies and the swishing of cars along the street I feel like curling up in bed and snoozing.
Yawn.
Stretch.
Scratch.

Pip tagged me the other day. 6 Quirky Things about Yourself (non dirty). 
I'm not a big fan of the games of the Blogverse (they always bring to mind Groucho's remark about not wanting to be a member of any club that would have him) and to tell you the truth, I'm not a big joiner-in-er. I try to stay under the radar as much as possible with such things. I think it's also that they are the younger sister of the Evil Chain Letter ('if you do not send this letter on you will die a horrible painful death and will not receive $1,129.00 by return post').
Although I do have to say that I look forward to receiving letters from Mrs Lovely Ngimbo from Nigeria. I feel dreadfully sorry about the death of her husband and somewhat guilty that I can not send her through my bank details.
I think the whole thing about a lot of tagging is that it's all a bit fluffy and feel-good for me, and plays on people's need to join in and their feelings of guilt and exclusion if  they don't. 
Sorry just had to run off and look at the hail that was slamming down, it's really raining! All those water-tanks filling up! Hope the wedding isn't washed out this afternoon.....
..........back to business...........
I had to laugh as today's aphorism is 'Know thyself? If I knew myself, I'd run away'.
Spot on Herr Goethe!

Anyway I thought just this once- and only time- I'd join in. I may not be able to do 6.......
*I once belonged to the Doctor Who Fan Club (I also have NERD tattooed on my arse- oh that's right- non-smutty)
*I hate pumpkin soup with a vengeance. I have had some wonderful pumpkin soups in my time, don't get me wrong, but it is one of those things that everyone thinks they can cook...... let me tell you this isn't true. If you really want to feed me pumpkin, roast it until it has caramelly burnt bits and I'm yours for life. 
*I love freesias, their smell makes me all trippy and, yes actually, happy. It's only the whitey/creamy/yellowy ones, the old fashions that have the intense smell. I've been know to sniff out freesias at a 100 metres in old graveyards. 
*I am very bad at choosing Boyfriends, 'nough said on that topic.
*I am unable to have an open packet of biscuits in the house- all or nothing is the motto here.
I have a friend who eats biscuits in 1, 3, 5 or the whole packet. Maybe it has something to do with prime numbers.
*Hmmmmm #6.......... how about things like....... I'm quite good (if the wind is in the right direction) at Cryptic Crosswords (the only good thing one Ex-Boyfriend ever left me), I like reading Crime Novels, especially 1930s ones by Georgette Heyer, Ngaio Marsh, et al............ which leads me to the real #6- I'm a Completist, yes, I'm one of those people who has to have all the CDs by a musician, read all the books by a writer. 
Is a Completist different to a Collector? 

So I don't know how 'Quirky' I've been, except to reinforce I'm a huge nerd, and I repeat this is the one and only time I will ever join in a Tag.
Thank you and I better get the shop ready for the day.
Come out in the rain and visit. It's a perfect 'wintry' day to come in and choose pretty Xmas decorations. Xmas was really designed for the dark of winter, with glowing lights and snow......... well today you could pretend.


2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with you re. pumpkin soup.

    I make it for the kids, but loathe it, myself, and my pumpkin soup used to be Quite Famous.

    Horrible stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. I expect you to show me your ass next we meet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me.
I like getting mail!